That's the question that we often hear when difficult or heart-breaking
situations arise. It’s a question that many of us, myself included, struggle
with.
Yesterday some of us attended the funeral of the young man I mentioned at
the beginning of this post. There were thousands of people praying for his
healing, but after two and a half weeks the Lord saw it best to take his life.
At a time like this many ask, “Why?” He was young, much of his life still ahead
of him. He had a wife and unborn son. It could seem like a senseless death. How
feeble and limited our human understanding is! If only we could see everything
that God can see, we would not call it senseless. We would not doubt that it
was perfect. (That does not at all mean that it is easy or that we should not
weep with those who weep.)
Step for just a moment from the human-centered and earth-focused point
of view. Instead of asking, “Why did God allow this?”, think about the
question, “Why does God ever give us anything good?” Why would a perfect and
holy God allow such a wicked world to go on? Because of His great mercy!
So many ask why God would allow bad things to happen. He is in complete
control and could stop everything wrong in no time. Think about what that would
mean, though. If He stopped everything that wasn’t perfectly good and holy
right now, almost everyone on earth would be gone. However, because of His love
and mercy and His desire that none should perish, He has patience with us and
does not destroy us all right now. In fact, He even gives us many good gifts! I
think that it is our perspective that is wrong. Instead of looking at what we
think is bad, let’s look at the wonderful things God does for us each day –
things that He certainly doesn’t need to do.
Another thing to consider when trials come is that life can be compared
to a beautiful picture that God is painting. We can only see what is being
painted right now. A good painting consists of all colors – including gray. At
the time when God is painting the gray, that is all we can see. We don’t see
the yellow that He will paint afterwards, and we often don’t remember the blue
that He painted before.
The following song is called “Blessings”, by Laura Story. [Disclaimer:
I do not endorse the music that Laura Story produces.] I came across
these lyrics while I was thinking on this subject and I think that its message
fits very well.
Blessings
We pray for
blessings, we pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
And all the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things
Refrain:
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
And all the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things
Refrain:
'Cause what if your
blessings come through rain drops?
What if Your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near?
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise?
We pray for wisdom, Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt your goodness, we doubt your love
As if every promise from Your word is not enough
And all the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe
Refrain
What if Your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near?
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise?
We pray for wisdom, Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt your goodness, we doubt your love
As if every promise from Your word is not enough
And all the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe
Refrain
When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know that pain reminds this heart
That this is not,
This is not our home
It's not our home
'Cause what if your blessings come through rain drops?
What if Your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near?
What if my greatest disappointments or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy?
What if trials of this life,
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights,
Are your mercies in disguise?
4 comments:
Wow. Every time I stop and think about how good he is to us I am amazed. I have heard this said before in an evangalism class where we went over tough questions people ask sometimes, but it is ALWAYS good to hear it again. That painting analogy was beautiful, Anna. I'm storing that up in my memory! And I do like that song "Blessings." It reminds me of a book I read once that talked about a popular saying "God has a wonderful plan for you life" when the "wonderful" parts are the likes of stoning sometimes. This was excellent.
love,
Theresa
That is so heartbreaking, Anna. I am so sorry for the lady who lost her husband and I imagine that this isn't an easy Christmas for her. But God knows what He is doing and sees the whole picture! There is so much comfort in that.
Hoping your family has a happy and blessed holiday!
Love, Hannah
Thank you for the thoughts you shared, Theresa! I agree - I think the times we forget how good He is is when we get too focused on ourselves. We need to remember to get our eyes off of the earthly and on to Jesus!
Thank you, Hannah! I hope your family is having a wonderful winter, as well!
My heart goes out to the young lady, as well. She is only a few months older than I am! I can't imagine what she is going through . . .
One thing that was brought out at the funeral that I appreciated was that it wasn't until the natives killed Jim Elliot that his wife, Elizabeth, was able to go back and win those people to the Lord. Sometimes it takes a tragic situation or death to bring people to the Lord. It is good to keep that whole picture in mind!
Post a Comment