Monday, May 25, 2015

I Am a . . .

. . . Teacher Student.

A teacher is supposed to teach, but I feel like I have learned so much more from my students than I have taught them. I have been a music teacher for two years now, and I’m still learning. And I hope I’ll keep learning from my students for as long as I am their teacher.
I’m currently preparing for my second music student recital at the beginning of July. As I plan out the music, location, date, time, rehearsals, and other details of the program, I think about my students and take into consideration each of their unique personalities, gifts, strengths, and weaknesses.
Sometimes I feel more like a mother than a teacher. I only see each student for half an hour a week (except for two of them, whom I am privileged to see every day!), but I find myself thinking about them often. I wrestle with answers to their questions and solutions to their problems. I dream of ways to make them blossom and thrive. I am intrigued by the vast differences in their learning styles and preferences. I inquire about their interests and activities. They share their joys and sorrows. I count it a privilege to know each one of these children and to be involved in their lives.
I don’t know what God has in store for me: whether I’ll be a music teacher for the rest of my life, or whether this is just a brief window that will soon close. But I am thankful for this opportunity that I’ve had. Thank you, students, for letting me be you teacher. Thank you for letting me touch your lives. And thank you for teaching me and touching my life, too.

No comments: