Thursday, February 5, 2009

Recipe for Squash Pickles

This recipe is from the Ball Blue Book: Guide to Preserving.

Squash Pickles
2 pounds (about 4 medium) summer squash
2 cups water
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/3 cup sliced onion (about one small)

Slice squash into 1/8 inch slices (a food processor works nicely here). Combine water, sugar, vinegar, turmeric, ginger, salt and dry mustard in a large sauce pot. Bring mixture to a boil. Add squash and onions; boil 10 minutes. Pack hot into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Yield: about 2 pints.

You can make your own variations, too, such as:
We sometimes add zucchini for color and if we need to use it up :)
We sometimes add a clove or two of garlic to each jar (you would put it in with the squash and onion)
You could probably omit the onion, or any other things you think would work!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing this, Anna! I appreciate it! The recipe, I believe, is different than the one that we have, so I might just give it a try this summer. :)

Anna said...

Good. I hope it works out well for you!
Anna