Thursday, February 4, 2010

Getting Organized

.
I have been wanting to organize our family recipe notebook for quite a while now and was finally motivated to actually do so by a blogging friend this past week! So one evening when all was quiet I took the note book out and pulled everything out of the front and back pockets and all the plastic sleeves.


The next thing I did was organize everything into four piles - yeast breads, muffins/quickbreads, main dishes, and desserts.

Then came the big job of putting everything back in. I tried to organize it by the things we used the most in front, etc.

In doing this I found several recipes that we had been given and never tried, so I picked one out to make that evening. It quickly became a family favorite, so I thought I would share it here.

No Bake Granola Bars

Put 1 cup honey and 1 cup peanut butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Let melt and then cook until slightly bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in: 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cups quick oats, 1 1/2 cups rice cereal, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup coconut, and 2 teaspoons sesame seeds. Flatten into pan and let cool before serving.

(This type of recipe does pretty well with variations, and I made some myself! Because we are running low on honey, I used half a cup of honey and half a cup molasses. Next time I am going to try it with all molasses. The friend we got this recipe from used Kashi for the rice cereal, but I used Crispy Rice cereal, which gave it a nice crunch. Try your own variations, and let me know how it goes!:)

4 comments:

Hannah said...

I like organizing things like this! Our recipe book is quite disorganized right now- maybe I'll get the recipes in order soon =D.
I liked Sarah's post also about her recipe book. I started thinking about making a book of my own with favorite recipes of mine. Then when and if I ever have a place and kitchen, I can have my own little cookbook :)!!
No bake things are fun to make! Thanks for sharing this recipe. My sister actually just made some granola bars the other day. Maybe I'll try this recipe soon, they look good.
~Hannah

Anna said...

Yes, it is fun to collect family favorite recipes. I enjoy making no bake things as well. My mother's favorite kind of cookies are no bake chocolate oatmeal.
Anna

Sarah said...

How fun, Anna! It looks and sounds like you did a thorough job. :) Like you, when I organized my recipe book, I found a number of recipes that I had either forgotten about and had not made in a long time, or ones that I had never tried at all. So the next menu I plan will have some of these things on it!

The recipe you shared sounds so good! I'll have to give it a try. :) Thank you for sharing it!

Anna said...

Thank you for your comment, Sarah! I hope you enjoy the recipe if you do try it.