Friday, October 25, 2013

"Matthew Seven!"

As pro-lifers standing outside abortion clinics, we hear and see a wide variety of responses to the message of life that we are bringing, and this morning was no different. The particular clinic that we went to today is along a fairly busy road, giving more opportunity to see the reactions from the general public. We had the typical supportive and unsupportive gestures, facial expressions, and honks, but there was one particular response that left me thinking.
I was standing at the driveway entrance to the clinic holding a homemade sign that read “Stop and Talk”, when a man driving by on the opposite side of the road rolled down his window and yelled “Matthew 7!!” After he passed, I tried to think of what he meant. Then I remembered Matthew 7:1, a favorite with abortion supporters: “Do not judge . . .” As I contemplated his response, a few thoughts came to mind.
As a trivial side point, I tried to figure out why he had called out the Scripture passage instead of the typical “don’t judge!” I think that my writing up this post is accomplishing part of his goal – that being to get me to think more about what he was saying. We pro-lifers are used to hearing “don’t judge”, and he probably knew that to some degree. However, by using a Scripture passage, he could get me to not brush it off so fast. After all, it’s in “my” Bible, so he was trying to tell me that I wasn’t obeying the Book I believe in! Of course, that would usually concern me, but this time it didn't. Read on . . .
The other thing I was thinking about is why people say “don’t judge” or, in this case, “Matthew 7”. I came to the conclusion that it is because they are under conviction. While I was standing outside the clinic this morning with that sign, I wasn’t worrying about people judging me because I knew that I was doing what God wanted me to, so it didn’t matter what they thought or did. (And by the way, many people did judge me, either in their minds or shouted and signaled from their cars. :) But those who aren’t convinced that what they are doing is right, or know that it is wrong, are always thinking that those who are doing what is right are judging them. In some sense, they have already judged themselves. By only using part of one verse in the Bible they are taking Jesus’ words out of context and end up revealing their own heart. (And just remember – a colorful homemade sign with flowers that says “Stop and Talk” is VERY judgmental!)

“Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.” ~ John 7:24

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Very good points, Anna! My Dad has made the comment before that John 3:16 used to be one of the most often quoted verses, but now it seems to be Matthew 7:1. Yet, if we take this verse in context with all of Scripture, we find that we are to judge at times . . . as the verse you shared at the end of your posts states, we are to "judge with a righteous judgment", we are also to discern between "good and evil", and examine the fruit of others as well. When judging becomes wrong is if we do as God forbids and judge when we "practice the same things" or when we are judging in a condemning way.

The way we live can make a person feel like we are judging them (I've been accused of that more than once!), but like you shared, they are in essence, judging themselves. The darkness hates the light, and when the light is shed abroad, it brings light into that darkness . . . sadly, most people would rather stay in the dark instead of venturing into the purity and truth of God's pure light!

Anna said...

Thank you for your comment and the thoughts that you shared, Sarah! That is an interesting observation that your Dad made, and as I think about it, I would agree.

I appreciate your thoughts on when and how we are to judge or not judge. We must take care of the beam in our own eye first. But then God has given us His Word and His Spirit so that we can be discerning and judge righteously!

Unknown said...

great post Anna. I agree with you all the way! :)
~Theresa

Anna said...

Thank you, Theresa! (I know you've heard these same comments before - don't judge, etc. - and I'm sure you could teach me a thing or two! :)