Saturday, December 6, 2008

Family Favorite

I made this recipe for the first time a few days ago, and since it quickly became a family favorite, I thought I would share it with you! Note: When I made the recipe, I doubled it (in a family my size I almost never do a single batch :) but I only had one can of sweetened condensed milk, so that is all I put in. I did not put in anything to substitute. I also did not have milk chocolate chips so I used only semisweet for both kinds. I don't know how the real recipe tastes, but my family says to make it the way I did again, because it is good that way! So if you don't have something (besides some kind of chocolate and mint which are necessary), just experiment! You can even make your own other variations. By the way, these are very sweet!

Bavarian Mint Fudge (Not the best picture)


Bavarian Mint Fudge

1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Line an 11-in. x 7-in. pan with foil and grease the foil with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan (I found that using a double-boiler to melt the butter and chocolate worked better than just melting it in a saucepan), melt the chocolate chips and remaining butter over low heat; stir until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in the milk and extracts until well blended. Spread into the prepared pan (I found that it is much easier to do this step if the chocolate is fairly runny, which you can do by heating it up again, but you can also just spread it with a rubber spatula). Refrigerate until set. Using the foil, lift fudge out of the pan. Discard the foil; cut fudge into 1-inch squares. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: About 2-1/2 pounds.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Mmm . . . it looks delicious!

Anna said...

It was very good (especially for those who like chocolate)!
Anna