His speech was smoother than butter, but his heart was war; his words were softer than oil, yet they were drawn swords (Psalm 55:21). I found this verse very interesting because it compares speech and words to butter and oil! The person talked about in this verse was a hypocrite. How? Well, a hypocrite is one who says one thing but does another. In this verse, the person is saying smooth or kind words, but in his heart, he really had hate and war. What he was saying sounded soft, but it was really meant to hurt.
For it is not an enemy who reproaches me, then I could bear it; nor is it one who hates me who has exalted himself against me, then I could hide myself from him. But it is you, a man my equal, my companion and my familiar friend; we who had sweet fellowship together walked in the house of God in the throng (Psalm 55:12-14). When we first read this verse, it made me think of Jesus and Judas. Judas was one of the twelve, one of Jesus friends who walked and talked and had fellowship with him, but then he reproached and hated Jesus instead.
I said, "Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest. Behold, I would wander far away, I would lodge in the wilderness (Psalm 55:6 and 7). This verse made me think of Isaiah chapter 40 verse 31: Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary. The person who wrote this Psalm wishing he had wings to fly away and rest. God says in Isaiah that those who wait on him will have wings and will not become weary, thus being at rest.
But You, O God, will bring them down to the pit of destruction; men of bloodshed and deceit will not live out half their days. (Psalm 55:23). This verse is interesting because it says that men of bloodshed and deceit will not live for half of their lifetime! Although this is sometimes literally true, we don’t find that all the time. I think it is not talking literally, but spiritually.
No comments:
Post a Comment