Sunday, January 26, 2014

Obedience Is Not Optional

“And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, ‘All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.’”
~ Matthew 28:18-20

            What would you think if you had a child and when you gave them a command, they didn’t obey unless they felt like it? Or what if they said they needed to think about it, or ask someone else if they should do it? You would probably be aghast! Well, I don’t think Jesus feels any differently. And He has given His children a command: “GO!”
And yet, many times people just simply don’t obey that command because they don’t feel like it. It isn’t convenient or comfortable. And have you ever noticed how many times people say they need to “think about it” or “pray about it”?
Prayer is essential. Jesus prayed very often. But we don’t need to ask God if He wants us to do something that He has already commanded us to do. We may need to ask for specific guidance, and we certainly need to pray as we go. But we never need to pray about whether to go, and we can’t spend very long praying about where and how to go, or we will be disobeying by not going!
If you are a disciple of Jesus Christ, this command is for you! The practical out-workings will look different for different people, but there is no provision in this verse for being a disciple and not going. Besides, if Jesus really has done something in our life, we will want to tell others!

The following is a message that I heard on this subject that I think is excellent. I would consider it a “must listen”!


[Disclaimer: We can learn a lot from others and I think that is true in the case of this message. The man who gave this message chooses to look the way he does because of the people that he ministers to. However, although I really appreciate his ministry, I do not believe in the idea of being like the world to win the world.]

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very true Anna-if we were to look at it as though these people were on a conveyor belt to hell...moving closer and closer to the fire, I'm sure we would run to snatch them away. Sadly we walk past many people in this dire situation, and you've made a good point. (And we agree on not being like the world to win it)

Anna said...

So true, Theresa, may God increase our faith and vision! Sadly, many of the people who could be rescued are not because they don't believe that they are in danger. But it is our responsibility to speak up and do our part so that their blood will not be on our hands.