Saturday, January 4, 2014

There Go I - Abortion Mill Update

The quote that is attributed to John Bradford, “There, but for the grace of God, go I”, came to mind yesterday morning as we were praying before I left for the mill. Indeed, if it weren’t for God’s great mercy and grace, “there go I”, like the women I saw yesterday (and men and friends), into an abortion mill. I hope none of us are so proud as to say that if we were in their place we would do differently. But because of that mercy and grace that God has extended to us we can do differently now, and go offer that different way to others!
We had plenty of both cold hands (the wind chill was 7 degrees!) and cold hearts at the mill yesterday, but unfortunately more of the latter. This time around the holidays (Christmas and the New Year) sees more women coming in for abortions (compared to the rest of the year) but there is very little response, if any. It seems they have made up their mind over the holidays and are determined to go in and get it over with. What a horrible and sad way to begin a beautiful new year!
Due to the holidays and sickness, we had a smaller-than-usual group of pro-lifers out, but everyone who came while we were there was offered hope and help. I was able to give a packet of information to a man who was pulling out after he dropped his woman off (I know there was at least one more packet given out by someone else). After I gave this man the booklet, he told me he had to leave, but that he would be right back. At least he had the information in his hands, and I hoped he would look at it. He did come back after a bit, but would not stop and talk to us again. He did, however, smile and nod on his way in. He appeared soft, but for whatever reason made no effort to save his child.
One carload that left a lasting impression was driven by a man, with a dog in the passenger seat. A young man and woman were in the back seat and were the ones dropped off. As they pulled in, I approached the vehicle and asked if they would take the booklet that I had. That was met with a demeaning look from the driver and the typical unsupportive gesture and some profane yelling from the woman in the back seat. When the driver came back later to pick them up, the young man made quite a scene in the parking lot by yelling over to us that they “weren’t going to do it until we saw you” and then went on to act more like a child than a man with nonsensical and profane responses. One of the older pro-life men tried to speak some sense to him in a fatherly manner, although I’m afraid the young man was beyond sense. May the Lord open their blinded eyes and bring true repentance!
There were, sadly, many people to watch and pray for yesterday as their feet ran swiftly to shed innocent blood. One woman literally ran from her car to the front door and another was in and out so many times that I lost track. There was one man who brought a woman (maybe his daughter) who went in and out several times with a walker that he obviously didn’t need. (We couldn’t figure that one out.) And, as usual, there were the men who stood outside smoking, laughing, and talking on their cell phones, ignoring our pleas and offers while preparations were being made for their children to be ripped apart by another man.
The Bible says that the harvest is plentiful and the laborers are few. Sometimes this is easier to see than it was outside the abortion mill yesterday morning, but we can trust that seeds were planted that God will be able to water and make grow. So go, as Jesus has commanded, into the ripe harvest around you. And as you go, remember that “there, but for the grace of God, go I”.

No comments: